Compensation for Victims of Crime

February 16, 2012 |

David Gowlet from Hawkins has recently recovered damages for a client from a neighbour who assaulted him by head butting him to the ground.

If you have been injured as a result of a criminal assault you could sue the person who assaulted you for damages for personal injury. No insurance company is likely to be involved but if the potential Defendant owns property and/or works it may be worth thinking about.

In the recent case the Defendant caused our Client a deep facial injury where he lost consciousness. The Defendant said that their two heads clashed. It was not deliberate. A good medical expert can advise with regard to the extent of the injury and the likelihood of it being accidental. The Defendant also said that he would not have accepted a Police caution if he had thought that it would pave the way to a claim for compensation against him.

The Judge was having none of this and gave Judgment to our client for his damages and costs.

We acted on a “no win no fee” basis and our client had after the event insurance which we can arrange through our membership of Accident Line.

After 14 days we enforced the Judgment by placing a Charge upon the Defendant’s house. (It is advisable to search at the Land Registry before launching your case to make sure that he does own the property).

We also took out an Attachment of Earnings Order which was served upon his employers. Within about 6 weeks from the date of the Judgment the full damages and costs were paid.

If we can help with a similar case or indeed any personal injury case please call David Gowlet.

Back to news >